American Hardwoods and Their Role in Carbon Neutral Design
Learn about the science that surrounds American Hardwoods, the significant role they play in the environment and their importance as a sustainable building material.
At the completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the difference between the physical characteristics of hardwood and softwood trees and identify a minimum of two species for each.
- Identify the preferred harvesting method used in responsible forest management of American hardwoods and cite a minimum of two of its positive effects in sustainable timber production and the forest eco-system.
- Explain the key points of the carbon cycle as it relates to hardwoods’ impact on the environment through its entire life cycle process, from healthy forests to finished products.
- List documented environmental attributes that identify American hardwoods as a comparatively favorable carbon neutral building material.
- Agree that specifying American hardwoods in the material selection process plays a significant role in carbon neutral design.