American Hardwoods
Real American Hardwoods

Forest Management and Best Practices

American Hardwoods are a naturally sustainable and renewable material, but the proliferation and volume of forestland is heavily dependent on responsible forest management. Responsible practices ultimately determine the overall health of the forest and its future as a renewable resource.

What many may not realize is that the majority of American timberland, that is forestland that is producing or is capable of producing crops of industrial wood, is privately owned by families, individuals, corporations and other private groups who follow best practices to ensure forest health. According to the U.S. Forest Service Inventory and Analysis Program, of the 521 million acres of timberland in the U.S., Federal, State and other public owners account for 40 percent, while the remaining 60 percent is privately owned. Under the collective stewardship of approximately 10 million private forest owners, average annual hardwood growth exceeds removal by a ratio of 2.3.

To ensure the continued growth of forests, professional foresters practice the complex science of silviculture – the art and science of controlling the establishment, growth, composition, health and quality of forests to meet diverse needs and values. In conjunction with the landowners’ objectives, their hardwood forest management plans reflect the profession’s best practices for long-term sustainable timber production, while also addressing water quality, wildlife habitat, biodiversity, forest aesthetics and recreational opportunities.

In American Hardwood forestry, harvesting methods are dependent on the region. With single-tree selection, foresters choose individual trees for harvest, mark them for removal and a crew follows later to take down the marked trees. Logs are removed with the least disruption possible to the forest floor. This harvesting method, in practice for decades, improves growing conditions while enhancing the habitat for wildlife. Additionally, a typical harvest of the private landowners’ tract will occur only once, perhaps twice in the owner’s lifetime.

In a hardwood forest, trees compete for the water and sunlight that come through the forest canopy – the leafy “roof” over the forest floor. Single-tree selection reduces this competition. Carefully removing individual trees creates openings in the canopy, allowing more precipitation, sunlight and nutrients to reach the forest floor. No longer suppressed by larger trees, seedlings are free to grow vigorously and saplings sprout out of the tree stumps. A few years later, the forester returns to the site to remove the least desirable saplings, allowing the hardiest to grow.

The forest floor vegetation thrives also, ensuring a healthy environment for birds and other wildlife. The trees reproduce naturally and prolifically. Foresters work with the timeline that Nature dictates. With our help, forest regeneration happens and sustained supply and ongoing replenishment are the result. This renewing and eminently sustainable supply of American Hardwoods is because of those who own the forestland, their foresters and the responsible forest management practices they employ.

A tree grows above the general level of the forest canopy. These trees are exposed to the strongest sun and winds.

This level forms the roof of the forest with crowns of dominant trees and vegetation.

This level receives little light. Many of these trees tolerate shade and remain at this level; others grow and replace older, fallen trees.

Forest Floor
This lowest level is made up of tree seedlings, dead leaves, and needles, grasses, ferns, flowers, fungi and decaying plants and logs.


1 week ago
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago


American Hardwood Information Center
American Hardwood Information Center2 days ago
A coffee station for that perfect morning brew.

Design by Tanya Smith-Shiflett​​​​​​​​
Cabinetry Unique Kitchens & Baths ​​​​​​​​
Photo Brian Wetzel Photo
Home of Becket Hitch

#RealAmericanHardwood #AmericanHardwoods #customcabinets #customcabinetry #kitchen #customkitchen #design #interiordesign #home #customhome #homedesign #design #designtrends #interiordesigntrends #homedesign #kitchen #kitchencabinetry #functionalkitchen

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This